Friday, May 14, 2010

Giving our Old Bibles a Second Life

About a week ago, I sent my old Bible off to get rebound. It has been my daily study companion, and has been with me through four surgeries of loved ones and a cross country move. Sending it off was one of the hardest things I've done. In a way, it contained years of my life. But, it was either fix it or retire it.

I wish I had taken "before" pictures. I did find some on the web similar to the condition mine was in, so I'll post those here for you. Mine is a Holman Giant Print KJV Reference Bible. It used to have a maroon cover similar to the one below. My pages were also splitting like you see below, and the back had come away from the spine.







Thanks to Ace Book Bindery, who took my old friend with the glued pages (WHY do Bible Publishers DO this?? A glued Bible does not last! ....The love of money.........) and sewed the pages in properly, gave me a new cover, 3 ribbon markers and printed my name on the cover.


This is so special to me. Two women that have been spiritual mentors to me have had their hand on this Bible. My Mom gave it to me years ago and I've cherished it. My Aunt rebound it for me as a gift, and I treasure it. It doesn't get any better than that! 

If you have a Bible you don't want to retire, consider giving it a second life.  Book binders can be to our Bibles like the Lord calling Lazarus. They can truly "raise them from the dead." Thank you Lord for such technology and blessings!





Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD!! (Psalms 119:156a)

Followers